[pct-l] A Poop Poll

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 00:00:18 CST 2011

I'd also choose to eat horse poop.  And, I actually have!

I remember hiking towards Paradise Lake in the Marble Mtn wilderness, and looking forward to a lake called "Paradise Lake" on the map.  I was so disappointed when I got there.  Mostly by two horses, standing in the water near the shoreline, with butts towards the lake's center and faces down in the shallows earting the nice green grass, while poop plobs out and falls into the lake over and over.  I needed to take water from this lake, so I filled two 1L Nalgene bottles and watched the water in the bottles as horse poop sank to the bottom.

There were two horsemen sitting on lawn chairs in the woods not far away.  I thought about reminding them of the rules in a wilderness there's a rule about keeping your hourse tied 200 feet from water, but didn't say anything.  Why?  In the sceme of things, letting your horse poop in a lake or on the trail is down the list of things that I don't like about my fellow outdoors person.  Hurting the land / mother Earth is number one on the list, and I will and have had verbal confrontations if I personally witness this  (once finding mutiple pounds worth of trash scattered over three trail miles by four drunk horsemen ).

But poop, I'm not so worried about.  Maybe I've never been behind a huge pack train, but if there's some here and there, OK it smells, but I step over it and keep going.  If the horse poop is a few days old, I kinda like to step in it, as it's softer for my poor feet.  I've heard stories, second hand, about the JMT in mid summer being "a stream of horse poop," and I don't know if it's true or an exaggeration by someone who really is upset by horse poop or is not used to seeing it.

My thoughts,

Happy trails,

Shon