[pct-l] Knees

jamie szewczyk jamieszew723 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 09:03:00 CST 2011

Hi everyone!

I've been gone from posting as I hiked 1000 miles of the PCT this year
2011.  We got off in Yosemite.  My bf fell in a manhole and both of my
knees were shot from going up and down mountains.  I have never had a
problem with my knees my whole life prior to this.  Issues began descending
Mount Whitney.  About 30 feet after beginning my descent from the peak, one
of my knees was in excruciating pain and I had to use my other leg more.
Therefore by the next mountain, my other knee was hurting as well.  I still
have the pain when I descend stairs, but just slightly.

I may like to finish the trail this coming year, but I am afraid my knees
will get worse and I will get trapped on a mountain.  (BTW the Spot failed
me in the sierras-no gps signal from faulty device)

Would you guys have any recommendations for someone with bad knees without
health insurance who wants to hike about 1,600 miles in 2012?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!