[pct-l] Seemingly funny mistakes and drama on day 1 of my 2011 thru-hike

jamie szewczyk jamieszew723 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 09:57:41 CST 2011

Hey everyone,

I started the trail at the end of April with most of the group.  Here are a
few of my mistakes and drama stories on the first day of my hike.  I
remember how much I read everything on the internet prior to the trail and
so I am posting this to help future hikers.  Keep in mind this was also my
first long distance thru-hike.  I would love to hear your stories as well.

1.  I ran out of water.  Honestly I just was so exhausted and in shock of
beginning that I just didn't stop to refill at all the nice little flowing
streams.  Then the streams disappeared.  I was 5 miles from Hauser Creek
and thankfully 2 people stopped and gave me a bottle of water.  Important
lesson learned and first trail magic received.

2.  I was carrying an almost 70 pound pack.  I literally had extra
everything.  I had a Kitchen Sink (my trail name).  I had enough stuff to
set up shop and live.  My poor feet were so blistered.  The bag was so
heavy, every time I had to take a break, I had to just kinda lean back and
fall over to sit so I didn't hurt myself taking it off.

3.  I almost caught our little campsite on fire while cooking and I also
had the worst dinner.  I was using my alcohol stove which I made myself.
It was a super efficient tuna can stove. I was also carrying a pocket stove
the Crux and Jetboil but I didnt have any fuel except alcohol which I can't
complain because I received it for free from the angel's Scout and Frodo.
Love you guys.  So anyway I had my stove down in a seemingly safe place
(flattened green grass) right near the creek.  The flames were so big from
that thing it started the grass on fire.  I had to take the food off early
and it was gross-pasta with red sauce.   Well when I was taking my stove
off, I took it off with what I thought were  little potholders that I
brought with me because they were small and light weight.  What i didn't
realize was that they were the wrong material and actually jar opener
holders.  So I took my pot, the Snowpeak 900 off the tuna can stove with
jar openers and the plastic melted to the pot.  Ugh!

4.  In the middle of the night, we were awakened by the sound of a
helicopter flying above us.  It flew  over a bunch of times and shined its
light in our campsite.  I was soooo tired but so afraid for what they were
searching for!  I was thinking illegals or a missing person.  Search and
rescue came on foot following the helicopter looking for a male solo-hiker
who according to his friends did not show up at kickoff when he was
expected.  Rumor was that he was found but was dehydrated.  If anyone has
the actual details let me know.

All in all, I learned alot on my first day. I guess I was lucky.  For the
rest of the trip, I conserved water because I was so afraid to run out of
water so I was probably dehydrated all the time.  My pack weight was mostly
reduced.  At kickoff Matt helped me shakedown my pack.  It was pretty
embarrassing.  I mean I had everything. 3 stoves, extra clothes like 6
bandanas, bras, underwear, 2 raincoats, 4 shirts, 3 bikinis, skirt, makeup,
kitchen sink, pocket shower, microfiber towel, stuff sacks galore, brush,
deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, soap, tweezers, a huge first aid kit, a
mini speaker system, paracord, plug in battery recharger, battery operated
phone battery recharger, etc etc.  I actually kept some things he shook me
down on, on the sly.  Like my pink sequined bikini, which did come in
handy.  I guess that was my luxury item.  My Jetboil turned out to be the
stove I kept because of it's ease of use and quick dinners!!!  It was by
far my favorite piece of gear.  Regarding the missing person on day 1, I
never actually hiked alone, except for most of the day because my safety
was always number 1 to me.

Again, I would love to hear about your mistakes or horror stories from the
beginning of your hikes.