[pct-l] knee problems

Gail Francis gailmfrancis at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 12:25:56 CST 2011

Hi,
I had a similar problem to what you describe during my first long-distance hike 15 years ago. After I stopped hiking for a couple weeks, my knees got almost completely better, but then every time I would try to backpack again, after a few days they were in excruciating pain, and even worse, they would sometimes just buckle of their own accord. I finally went to the doctor who prescribed physical therapy which helps an unbelievable amount. If you have health care, I would recommend physical therapy so that you can learn exercises to strengthen your knees. If you don't have access to health care you can try the ones here, which are similar to the ones they taught me. http://www.thewalkingsite.com/knee_exercises.html

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've been gone from posting as I hiked 1000 miles of the PCT this year
> 2011.  We got off in Yosemite.  My bf fell in a manhole and both of my
> knees were shot from going up and down mountains.  I have never had a
> problem with my knees my whole life prior to this.  Issues began descending
> Mount Whitney.  About 30 feet after beginning my descent from the peak, one
> of my knees was in excruciating pain and I had to use my other leg more.
> Therefore by the next mountain, my other knee was hurting as well.  I still
> have the pain when I descend stairs, but just slightly.
>
> I may like to finish the trail this coming year, but I am afraid my knees
> will get worse and I will get trapped on a mountain.  (BTW the Spot failed
> me in the sierras-no gps signal from faulty device)
>
> Would you guys have any recommendations for someone with bad knees without
> health insurance who wants to hike about 1,600 miles in 2012?

---
http://gmfranci.wordpress.com/