[pct-l] Knees

David J. Grayson dgrayson at centurytel.net
Fri Dec 23 14:33:25 CST 2011

      I'm a 56yo physician about to thru-hike the PCT in 2012.  I've
had relatively minor hiking knee issues over the years and my CHOPAT
KNEE STRAPS keep me pain free.  If you have severe acute knee pains
that come on rapidly and then surprizingly settle down just as quickly
- then you could have "patelofemoral" dysfunction due to rubbing the
underside of your knee cap on the end of your femur. Patelofemoral
problems are especially bothersome with descent/ascent hiking.  I
believe that anyone who doesn't have SWELLING or INSTABILITY, which may
indicate an internal "intra-articular" derangement, would benefit from
use of these durable, simple Chopat knee straps. I got mine online for
<$20.
       It's also important to pay attention to your gait, as most of us
are pronators. Most of us pronators don't have problems with limited
walking activities on level surfaces. However, if you put 30lbs on your
back and start daylong ascents and decents then problems rapidly
develope.    Irregular trail surfaces that evert our feet really tears
at our knees. So, attention to your gait to avoid extended eversion
(opposite of inversion) of your ankles can reduce strain on your knees.
  Of course, lightening your load (get a donkey) and good footwear are
critical.  I swear by Superfeet Green inserts.  At my age, my feet need
more supported and structured footwear than trail runners.  I have
found Patagonia AC Drifter goretex hiking shoes in a full size larger
than my dress shoes to be the ticket for me.
     That's my knee/foot treatise -
David Grayson, MD