[pct-l] Using Smart Phones as GPS

Ken White kenwhite64 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:45:58 CST 2011

You can set your phone to Airplane Mode and then enable the GPS mode. This will stop the phone from looking for a signal.

I use Backcountry Navigator on my Android Thunderbolt and easily get several days of use on the standard battery. I might check position 1-2 times an hour and not use way points. I also use a rooted phone with a kernel designed for low power consumption.

I find the android is not as accurate as my Garmin Oregon 300 and while I use the Android in a ziplock, I share the concern on wet weather. I used both on the JMT in the snow this June, but am not quite ready to lose the garmin.

--Ken

Message: 1