[pct-l] GG Virga?-- Hip belt a necessary?

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 13:01:41 CST 2011

"I have 7-9 pound baseweight and am looking at carrying the GG virga
(comfortable up to 20ish pounds) this upcoming season. Does anyone have
experience with this pack? I am worried most about sacrificing a padded hip
belt for a 3/4" webbing. Recommendations/comments most appreciated. Thanks,

Clay Lemar"

Clay,

I section-hiked the trail and I used my Virga through northern
California, Oregon and Washington, where my base weight was 10-12
pounds. I like the webbed hip belt better than a large padded one.
Right after a big resupply, the pack was a little hard on my
shoulders, but that doesn't last very long. With your base weight, I
think you will be fine on that part of the trail.

I shortened the way-too-long top collar by about half and added
pouches - one to a shoulder strap (camera) and one to the hip belt
(map, compass, Deet). I also sewed on a couple of elastic straps to
the back panel so I can slip a sit pad in between me and the pack -
that worked well for me.

The Virga is a sturdy little pack for light loads, but it won't
accommodate a full-size bear can plus extra clothes and food very
efficiently. You might need a bigger volume pack for the Sierras, or
for the Glacier Peak/Pasayten leg if you finish late. Maybe experiment
with that before you go? The ultralight fastpackers probably have this
figured out...I can't speak to that...I'm 60, a solo hiker, and pretty
safety-oriented, so I carry a little more stuff when I think I might
need it.

Palomino
Jim Ostdick
San Juan Bautista, CA