[pct-l] Test Hikes...Three times the charm......

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 09:58:13 CST 2011

I agree that living with your gear beforehand is the best plan of action,
but don't forget that some of the best gear purchases you may make could be
at Kick Off where you are going to find a sea of UL tents and gear, much of
it purchasable right there.  They set up a PO in the campground to mail
your old stuff home.  It precludes being able to try out the gear, but what
my bunch did was start about 10 days prior to KO, get to really try out our
gear, the gal I was with had a lousy, homemade kit pack, and upgrade some
of it at KO.  She ended up with a wonderful pack by the same manufacturer
at a discount from the designer himself, and others got better tents etc.
The thing about buying some of it fresh and untried at KO is that you have
hundreds of folks to run it by.  You'll meet people who love a bit of gear
and those who hate it.

Just something to keep in mind as KO is probably the best convocation of UL
gear displayed in one place in the West.

Shroomer