[pct-l] your experiences with fear on the trail

Sam Griffin samgriffin4 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 13:04:24 CST 2011

Mather Pass was the scariest part for me. Traversing the rock wall to get
to each different snow traverse was too much, but getting up on top was an
amazing feeling! And we were greeted a few miles down with a beautiful
green valley.

I almost fell off of Mt. Whitney. I postholed in one of the chutes and
flipped upside down, hanging over the drop (this was near the summit,
loooong way down!). Luckily my leg was in up to my knee or I would've been
down the mountain, I didn't react properly with my ice axe and only got a
trekking pole stuck in the snow (with which I pulled myself back up). I
still get chills thinking about how close that was.

Almost nailed a boulder when I lost control glissading down Sonora Pass at
10:00 PM. Not a good idea. Do not repeat. I never got the hang of
glissading, and would've certainly chosen an alternate route down, but it
seemed like the only way (and apparently the other way was even more
sketchy). Actually, Sonora Pass was pretty scary as a whole. Truly the last
"pass." Don't underestimate it, and don't be a ******* idiot like moi!

The last time I truly felt fear was getting snowed on in the Glacier Peak
Wilderness in Washington. We got a good four inches (and man it was coming
down!) and I really thought we were doomed in terms of finishing. It had
been raining pretty bad for a few days, and when we got above 5000 or so it
turned to snow.

Rattler