[pct-l] Fw: "balanced solution" backpack

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 13:12:51 CST 2011

 I tried to send this earlier but it, apparently, didn't go out.

For those who might be interested - here is my solution - and why:  I wanted to take some of the weight off my shoulders and move it to my hips. I have a somewhat sore right shoulder resulting from a rotator-cuff surgery and lower back pain due to arthritis in my lower back. (Ageing sucks). Everything from my hips on down is fine. When I hit the trail next summer I will be two months short of 77. I plan to hike NOBO from Horseshoe meadows to Yosemite Valley, beginning late in July.

At REI, I purchased an Osprey Talon 44 backpack. It weighs 41 ounces. I find the suspended mesh on my back to be comfortable.

 I also bought a MountainMaster Daylight fanny pack. (9.5 oz.) They claim 700 ci volume but, by my measurement, including the outside pocket, it holds a little over 800 cubic in. It also has two outside mesh pockets that will each hold a 20 oz Gatorade bottle for water. In it, I carry my Jetboil cooking kit, an extra G. water bottle, my first aid kit, and several other things, including easily accessible high calorie trail snacks. Its weight will vary from about six to nine pounds. I have added a pre-adjusted strap to balance and stabilize the fanny pack.(so it doesn't bump on my upper legs). It snaps in to connect the outside loop of the fanny pack to the sternum strap - very little weight supported. Of course, the fanny pack is carried rotated to become a "belly pack".

The Osprey holds my Hubba tent, sitting-kneeling pad, and raincoat with hood - these are strapped underneath. Inside are my sleeping bag, Thermarest self-inflating, 47" x 20" x 1.5" air mattress (I like the firmness adjust ability of an air mattress), extra clothes, fuel canister, headlamp, bear charms, solar shower, fishing tackle,etc. - and a Garcia Bear Canister - which will hold more than 15,500 calories of food. On the outside of the pack are the tent poles, the fishing rod, and filaying knife. In the pack" belt pockets are my SPOT and GPS. My small Canon camera will be either at the top of the fanny pack or hanging around my neck. The maximum pack weight will be about 32 pounds.

All of my fishing tackle weighs just one pound. It's well worth carrying, since I will be taking my time, and will, most likely, catch and eat about 20 pounds of delicious trout. I will also supplement the food that I carry with wild mushrooms and other wild plants that I am familiar with. I have planned five resupply locations and about four weeks to hike about 250 miles. I plan to climb Half Dome on the way down to Yosemite Valley.

MendoRider-Hiker