[pct-l] Snoqualmie Pass / fear on the trail

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 13:18:30 CST 2011

On an average year, early July is an OK time to hike north from Snoqualmie if your you don't mind some snow coverage over the higher areas.  Granted, you should have some snow experience and a good map showing alternate trails.

However, on a high snow year / low spring temp year (like 2008) there is one very dangerous section 10 miles north of Snoqualmie Pass, the Chikamen Traverse.

I did the PCT south mid July '08, and I slept just before the Chikamen Traverse on a cold night.  The trail below Chikamen Peak was snow free, since the mtn is a rock wall (rock is warmed by the sun); except for one 20 foot wide chasm.  Since the chasm is set back into the rock and in constant shade, the ravine was filled with snow, and rock hard snow.  The snow filling the gully makes a verticle chute hemmed in by rock, aboutan angle of 70 degrees with 500 foot drop to the Gold Creek valley.  The snow was nearly has hard and slippery as solid ice, with soft snow only 1/2 inch blanketing the ice.  1/2 inch is way to shallow to kick in steps.

It was stupid of me, but I took out my titanium tent steaks and wrapped only my index finger over the end of the steak, and using my thumb on the end I would strike the ice and drive in the steak and inched my way across with my arms.  Near the end one steak pulled out unexpectedly and I thought I was a goner, as I hung by one precarious arm I felt my heart in my chest go "THUMP THUMP" beating really hard.  It still scars me to think about "what if."

This section has a lower alternate trail that could be used (Park Lakes to Lehma Creek).