[pct-l] late start with a flip-flop?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Feb 1 17:01:51 CST 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

>  Having talked to some PCT-ers who loathed the initial section of
> the PCT,

Wow! Loathe? I probably loathed Washington while I was in it, but now
as I think back to it, it fills my heart only with love and longing.

I live in Southern California. Fall is hiking season. It's actually
the best hiking season, in my opinion. You get much better pictures
in fall. The trees turn colors and the light is golden. The
temperatures are very pleasant. There is less water, but it's not
like there is no water. Basically, anything that is seasonal is dry
because it's not the season. There may be caches to help you since
some people do hike southbound. And you will be surprised how much of
your southern California water ends up coming out of faucets, spring
or fall. The rainy season begins in October, so be prepared for
possible (yet not very likely) rain.

In 2009 I began my hike on May 25 in Santa Barbara. I met up with the
PCT on June 1 in Hikertown. This was also the exact same date I
reached Hikertown in 2008! June 1 was not too late to hike across the
Mojave at all. In fact, it was cold in 2008 and raining in 2009. Lots
of folks in your shoes start in Agua Dulce, but I can see where
Cabazon would be a nice place to end your hike because you end with
the beauty of the San Jacintos. I was amazed how beautiful they were.