[pct-l] Water, bear canisters, stoves/fuel

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Thu Feb 3 14:49:44 CST 2011

On 2/2/2011 8:02 PM, Vimal Golding wrote:
> 1. Water: it looks like there are a number of sections in southern
> CA where you don't cross a water source for 20-35 miles. How much
> water do I need to be able to carry in order to do this?

Everyone has different water needs. I figured one quart per 3 miles of
hiking, but I carried more water than most people.

> Are there any tricks that people use on these sections, like hiking
> at night?

Hike early in the morning, take a nap in the shade during the heat of
the day, and hike late into the evening.

Also, when water will not be available for a long stretch, drink as much
as you can at the last available water source; at least one quart.

> Conservatively, I expect to be making 15 miles per day, though it
> sounds like I'll probably start doing upwards of 20 once I get into
> the swing of things.

You will also be forced to hike farther when there is a long dry stretch.

> 3. Stoves/Fuel: planyourhike.com says that alcohol stoves are the
> most common, with butane stoves (like Pocket Rocket) being the second
> most common. I'm considering a DIY alcohol stove for weight and
> availability of fuel, but I read online that even 70% rubbing
> alcohol only works marginally.

Don't use rubbing alcohol.

> It seems like at many of the resupply points (convenience stores and
> the like) I'd be lucky to find 50% rubbing alcohol, let alone 90% or
> some specialized fuel like denatured alcohol.

Denatured alcohol is not a specialized fuel. It can be found in any
hardware store. A lot of resupply points will carry it. Those that don't
will often have HEET gas line antifreeze in a yellow bottle. That works
as well as denatured alcohol.

> I already own a whisperlite, which would probably run fine on
> regular gasoline,

You may find that white gas and gasoline are more difficult to find
along the trail than alcohol or butane canisters.