[pct-l] Diabetes and insulin

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 22:38:18 CST 2011

I've backpacked with a friend who is type I, West Coast Trail, Wonderland,
TRT, and he's done several weeks of trekking in the Andes above 15,000, as
well as many other trips over the years.  He is a confirmed lover of the
wilderness, and in spite of near death experiences on many of these trips,
he keeps coming back for more.  Once in the middle of the night on the West
Coast Trail, he shot up with the wrong vial, and his wife had a run to the
bear box to get candy to bring him down before he died, at other times, he's
just pushed so hard he's ended up very sick on trail, not being able to
balance his drug dosage to the effort he's expending.  He's a smart guy, and
has been diabetic for years, and it's still very tricky.

I would think you could mail your kit all along the trail, and always carry
extra in case of a missed mail drop.  I missed 2 last summer, so it does
happen.  I assume you have really pushed yourself in training situations so
as to see how you respond, as that has been the most regular problem for my
buddy.  He actually has lots of experience, and still has close calls
regularly.  Before I backpack with him I make him give me a solemn oath that
there will be no deaths on trail.  So far he's kept up his end of the
bargain, but it's been close a few times.

Shroomer