[pct-l] Stream crossings

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Feb 4 02:32:48 CST 2011

(trying to get caught up on email...)

Steel-Eye is a friend and I admire his point of view. We both care for the
welfare of pct thru hikers and want them to have the best experience
possible out there.

Regarding stream crossings, linking arms certainly must add to the stability
of the whole, but we have not tried it. Boots on, facing the other side, the
use of sturdy poles or a strong branch in both hands on the down-stream side
of you is what we do. Of course, after a thorough search up and down the
creek for at least several hundred yards for a good rock-hop or log to make
a dry crossing.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education