[pct-l] Diabetes and insulin

Janet Grossman janetgr at Cableone.net
Sun Feb 6 10:56:42 CST 2011

I'm curious as to whether anyone has done a thruhike of the PCT with type I or II diabetes that is controlled by insulin.  I doubt any of you extraordinarily fit individuals have Type II, so it'll probably be mostly Type I diabetics.  I cannot figure out a way to safely carry, ship and store insulin, alcohol wipes and syringes along the whole route.  The risk of doing it wrong is pretty severe.

Michael,
I didn't manage my planned thru-hike in 2007 due to foot problems, have been doing section hikes ever since and continue to have foot problems, most recently plantar fasciitis. But I have had Type I for 34 years. I wear an insulin pump, and just know that I will never be an ultra-light hiker due to need to carry all the extra supplies for the pump and in case the pump malfunctions and I need to switch to injections, plus of course my glucose meter and test strips, alcohol swaps, etc. Before my thru attempt, I talked to a diabetic former thru-hiker in my town, who also used a pump. He said he never had any problems with his insulin by just storing it in the middle of his pack, and this is what I do too, have never had my insulin go bad. My partner at home just mails insulin, pump supplies, glucose test strips, etc. in my food boxes (I'm a vegan "health food" eater, so didn't try to resupply on trail), and this has worked well. I've found that my glucose levels are very stable on the trail, more so than at home, though of course I still have the occasional highs and lows. I mostly hike alone, which I'm aware is not the safest method, but I haven't run into issues where I needed help. On cold nights, I keep my insulin and meter inside my sleeping bag to avoid both freezing and getting the too-cold-to-work error message on my meter for the first test of the morning. On cold days I take the meter out of its case and just carry it in my pants pocket for the same reason. Really, my diabetes has not been any more of an issue on the PCT than at home.

I did hike the whole AT in 1978-79 and didn't carry as much stuff for my diabetes because I was doing one injection a day, pumps and meters didn't exist back then, and I did the occasional inaccurate urine sugar test. I'd just buy insulin in towns, think I had my parents mail syringes to me but may have bought them in towns. Lots more to carry now, but I have a lot more knowledge of what's going on with my glucose levels and can fine-tune things.

Have a great hike!
Janet