[pct-l] Tents vs Tarps - Bivies?

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 11:33:39 CST 2011

A muddy trail is a reason to use a tent? I don't understand.

Let's leave hammocks out of the discussion. That's fine.

I always use a tarp. I've never thru hiked, but have used a tarp for about 8
years now. I've used a tent 2 times since I made the switch. Once was
camping in snow using my old 4-season Moss tent. The other time was the same
tent, but for a different reason. We had driven out to a trailhead and
wanted to get an early start in the AM. It looked like it might rain/snow,
and neither of us wanted to unpack our packs. We wanted to get up in the AM
and go, so we just put up the tent for the night. This was total car
camping, big air matress, synthetic heavy bags, etc.

What are the advantages of a tent over a tarp?

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM, John Abela <pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com