[pct-l] Lightening risks using external frame pack?

eckert jape1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 6 13:20:08 CST 2011

Please don't ask me to cite sources, it was too far back, and I don't
remember.  That said, the forces involved in a lightning strike are
huge.  Whether the strike is air to ground, or ground to air, the fact
that you might be attached to an ungrounded 18oz. of metal is
irrelevant.  If Mom Nature decides you're going to be a conducting part
of a strike, your body will serve her purpose just fine, adorned with a
pack or otherwise.

However, I must confess that when I begin to hear thunder and see the
flash, I quietly collapse my aluminum sticks and stow them in my pack. <g>