[pct-l] Tents vrs Tarps - Bivies?

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 13:42:30 CST 2011

> It's always hard during the lead-up to a thru hike to figure
> out when gear research shades over from due diligence to
> a pointless obsession with saving another half ounce.
>
> I have heard it said that if thru hikers spent half as much time
> on perfecting their gear list and twice as much time on
> perfecting their skill set, they'd be much better off at the
> get go.
>
> But as you remind us, things have a way of ironing out
> once you are on the trail and actually hiking. Gear
> obsession is just another one of those things that fade
> away as the miles add up.

Thats cause you can't just start your hike.  So you end up doing what you
can - which is obsess over your gear.

Then after about 500 trail miles it hits you that yeah gear can matter but
not that much.

The gear that really matters is between the ears.

Of course I've been lately looking through gear sites and drooling over
cuben fiber tarps but I know its just a wee bit of comfort thing.

But as someone else wrote:

>> I agree wholeheartedly. Reducing pack weight is a key to making a
>> thru-hike a success.

I hiked years ago with 40 pound packs (although not a thru) and found hiking
very enjoyable then too!

All things being equal if I can drop a few pounds off my back I will - but
if that option wasn't there I'd still be out hiking with a heavy pack.  And
I'd be out attempting a thru with a heavy pack too.

If you get a chance to read "A High Adventure" by Eric Ryback do it (a PCT
legend).  He was leaving his resupplies with 70 pounds.  Its been several
years since I read it, yet I don't remember much complaining in his book
about pack weight - But I do remember his descriptions of the majesty of the
trail.

I guess I am attempting to say that lighter is nicer - it just
isn't mandatory.  YMMV, HYOH, etc.

Day-Late (who is pretty lightweight now - although I don't really know my
base weight cause it changes every trip I do)