[pct-l] Tents vrs Tarps - Bivies?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Feb 6 16:20:09 CST 2011

I have used a tarp and I enjoy it. I have an 8x10 tarp and a poncho.
I like them both but I think I like the poncho better. I also sewed
my own little mosquito net tent. It works alone or with the 8x10
tarp. Tarps are great as long as there aren't a lot of flies or
mosquitoes out.

I probably would have died of insanity on my 2009 hike without a
tent. I went through Oregon at the height of the snowmelt mosquito
season. Those mosquitoes were insane. Nothing like the crazy
mosquitoes in the Sierras. These were aggressive and evil. The bit
through my clothing. I had to wear a head net all day long and tuck
in my shirt, and button down the cuffs of the sleeves. It still was
not enough. They bit my back and elbows, my crotch and knees and
through my shoes, believe it or not. So I added another shirt on
underneath and a skirt over my pants and sprayed myself with a giant
can of DEET. And oh, the craziness of trying to relieve myself! I
made myself a device for peeing out of a plastic salad dressing
bottle. Literally saved my ass. I'm just glad I took a lot of
pictures because I hardly saw anything at all through the haze of
DEET and netting.

When I pulled into camp each night completely exhausted by the chase
(me being chased by mosquitoes), having a refuge where I could take
off all those layers, cool off, eat something without fighting and
just simply rest, was essential. I became a tent convert.

A tarp is nice. I'd probably choose to use a tarp over a tent if
there were no bugs. But I was chased by them across Central and
Northern California in 2008 and across Oregon and part of Washington
in 2009. It just became simpler to toss a tent in my pack and know I
was ready for anything.