[pct-l] Fw: Tents vrs Tarps - Bivies?

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 17:21:13 CST 2011

Dear Timothy

I had used the Six Moon Designs Luna Solo.
http://psycho01.edu.u-toyama.ac.jp/PB292082.jpg
But, this shelter needs many stakes and cannot set up at the hard
ground. Then, I decided to discard this shelter.

I have used  Hilleberg Akto for 4 years.
http://psycho01.edu.u-toyama.ac.jp/PB292082.jpg This tent is very
strong, and it can be set up by 4 stakes (locations are not strict). I
like this shelter best. But, now, this shelter (1.4Kg) is heavy and
expensive.

I bought Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 1.0Kg
http://psycho01.edu.u-toyama.ac.jp/P5212807.jpg and used at the JMT.
But, this shelter needs many stakes, and water proof is not strong. I
am living in Japan.  The strong rain will penetrate this tent. I
cannot recommend this tent especially in Japan.

 I bought Vaude Power Lizard UL 1.0 Kg. This shelter is very strong
for wind and water proof is 3000mm.  This shelter will be safe against
the very strong rain in Japan. I like this shelter.

And, I ordered the MSR Home Alone Bivy (0.8 Kg )for my wife in this summer.
http://www.moontrail.com/marmot-home-alone-bivy.php

This is like a single wall tent. I have not yet gotten this shelter,
so I cannot comment this. But, the numerics of water proof indicate
very strong enough.

The light shelters are not strong. I have heard that their longevity
is within 100 nights. So, you mightl need two or more shelters.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )