[pct-l] reading material

eckert jape1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 6 22:22:12 CST 2011

  For those that remember Edward Abbey, and his passion for wilderness
preservation, you may also recall George Washington Hayduke, a major
character in The Monkey Wrench Gang.  Abbey modeled this fictional
character from a close friend of his, Doug Peacock.

Peacock is also a writer, and is also an ardent advocate of the
wilderness.  I just finished one of his books, Walking It Off.  It's
been a while since a book struck so close to home, and perhaps some of
you might enjoy it as well.

I can't write a book report to save my hide, but there is an interesting
review and interview here: http://www.grist.org/article/sprinkle/

Maybe it's because Vietnam was "my" war.  Maybe it's because I live in
the southwest and share a love for the hot, and the dry, and the cactus
and the buzzards and bugs and all.  Maybe it's because I find that a
long walk really helps me deal with the stuff in my life.  But the guy
writes a good book.  I liked it a lot.

eckert