[pct-l] reading material

MICHAEL C BEATY mike_beaty at q.com
Mon Feb 7 17:02:25 CST 2011

eckert,

You and other Listers might enjoy this 30 minute Democracy Now! May 2009 interview with Doug Peacock:

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/12/doug_peacock_on_walking_it_off

His account of "walking it [PTSD] off" is honest and moving.

Hayduke lives!

Terrapin
Boise

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 20:22:12 -0800

For those that remember Edward Abbey, and his passion for wilderness
preservation, you may also recall George Washington Hayduke, a major
character in The Monkey Wrench Gang. Abbey modeled this fictional
character from a close friend of his, Doug Peacock.

Peacock is also a writer, and is also an ardent advocate of the
wilderness. I just finished one of his books, Walking It Off. It's
been a while since a book struck so close to home, and perhaps some of
you might enjoy it as well.

I can't write a book report to save my hide, but there is an interesting
review and interview here: http://www.grist.org/article/sprinkle/

Maybe it's because Vietnam was "my" war. Maybe it's because I live in
the southwest and share a love for the hot, and the dry, and the cactus
and the buzzards and bugs and all. Maybe it's because I find that a
long walk really helps me deal with the stuff in my life. But the guy
writes a good book. I liked it a lot.

eckert