[pct-l] Lightening risks using external frame pack?

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 20:05:18 CST 2011

Upon searching out my window neither the lightning rod on my house nor none of the four neighbors have any kind of knife edge,  the all have balls on the end... This is true of my grandparents house in the Midwest as well ( which has been struck).

At the voltage we're talking about,  and the proximity to ground itself...the metal in your pack makes no difference... How grounded you are does,  but that comes down to how wet you are,  your footwear,  the type of ground you're on etc...  Too many variables to calculate

I'm not an electrician,  but I am a radio and radar technician

All that said,  I'm sure there's better things to worry about than getting struck by lightning based on pack choice

~outpost

Ps,  being in a car is safest,  not due to the faraday cage if you do get struck ( people have died this way). But due to the rubber tires insulating you...  Greatly decreasing the odds of a strike...On this logic let's all hike in thick electricians boots

Sent from my iPod