[pct-l] Lightening risks using external frame pack?

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 21:47:38 CST 2011

On 2011-02-07, at 8:17 PM, Ben Crowell <pctcrowell11 at lightandmatter.com> wrote:

>> I use to use an external frame pack and got nervous about wearing it during thunderstorms.
>> Anyone know if there is any research showing if you are more likely to git hit/killed with a big
>> lightening rod array - er, external frame pack - tied to your back?

Dear Ben,

While I'm not sure on what is safest for lightning, I was intrigued enough by a fellow hiker's Colman Peak external frame pack last year to find a used one for myself.  The frame is made of plastic and has some flex which I found appealing although I've yet to actually try mine.  These frames are also utilized by Outdoor Product Dragonfly and Firefly backpacks, which can be purchased new (and CHEAP..$42-$75) from Amazon.com.

Sincerely, Linsey/Lollygag