[pct-l] Non-Cooked Food - Share Your Recipes!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Feb 9 09:06:28 CST 2011

I wasn't a 100% cookless backpacker, but here's what I liked:

1. Cold cereal. Specifically, grapenuts with walnuts or pecans, nido
and just fruits raspberries.
2. Hummus and wheathins or other hearty crackers.
3. Cous-cous reconstituted in my backpack for a while. The cous-cous
has been doctored in advance with curry powder, raisins, pecans and
possibly garlic powder. It's doctored afterwards with foil pouch tuna
or chicken breast and 2-3 packets of mayonnaise.
4. Instant pudding. I swear sometimes it was the only thing that
would calm my hunger. I liked butterscotch, banana and lemon the
best. Goes well with butter cookies or just by itself.

I was not able to eat tortillas on the trail, but there are a lot of
delicious sandwiches you can make with mustard and mayo packets, tuna
or chicken or other pouched meats and whatever else. Probably the
hummus would be good in a tuna wrap. Maybe the refried beans in a
chicken wrap with some cheese. Certain vegetables pack well. I often
carried a small onion or a small piece of broccoli. I found swiss
chard lasts well if you tear it up and put it in a ziplock with a
little bit of water. You could probably do the same with other greens
easier to eat cold.