[pct-l] Virtual through-hike?

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 23:15:26 CST 2011

I just saw a TV advertisement for a new Nordic Trak machine that lets you upload terrain from anywhere in the world using GoogleMaps.  It then adjusts the pitch and resistance as you walk to simulate the route.  It dawned on me that one could upload the PCT to this machine, don one's pack, and then proceed to undertake a virtual through-hike!  That way, you can still hike the trail--sort of--without having to take time out of your life, deal with resupplies, mosquitoes, sunburn, dehydration, suncups, dangerous stream crossings, hypothermia, rattlesnakes, bear cans, blisters....

-Nate the Trail Zombie