[pct-l] Insulation layer

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:47:14 CST 2011

Dear Mango,

Thanks, I am nervous about leaving my down jacket behind but I have this
exact same experience, I just don't use it or seem to need it.  I only plan
to do the Southern CA section to Hwy 58 anyway.  I get really heated when I
hike.  I hike in just a fleece jacket down to 30 degrees, sometimes shorts
even.  Then I have a nice bag and tent when I stop to sleep.

How much does it rain in Southern California, Diane or anyone???  I lived in
So. Cal for about 6-7 years and I never remember it raining past March.  In
my ultra-lite dreams I'm thinking that I'm even going to leave the rain gear
behind and wrap myself in my tent fly if it does start to rain.  (I've gone
over the tarp vs. tent in my head and the tent still wins out).  I like to
be in a tent with a fly when it rains, but that's just me and I can double
the fly as a rain poncho.

Is this advisable?  I would like to hear both sides of this argument.

Melanie