[pct-l] Insulation layer

leestcoast at gmail.com leestcoast at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 13:00:27 CST 2011

Hi Melanie, I don't think relying on your tent fly is the best idea - my son tried relying on a trash bag with arm holes cut out while southbound from Big Bear but got into an ice storm on Fuller Ridge and had to retreat off the trail. He was lucky to be fit enough to be able to hike out after an already long day. There are a lot of better liteweight options for storm protection. I know you could wrap a fly around you or set up your tent and wait out a storm - I think you would do better with a jacket in order to continue down the trail in some rain and wind. I currently use a TNF Event anorak (6.4 oz, I think) that breathable enough to use just for a warmth and/or wind layer.
Cruz Control