[pct-l] Mojave: March 25 - April 3

sarah estrella skestrella at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 11 13:06:32 CST 2011

Special K,
Good idea! I hiked that section solo last year April 10-17.  I got rained on, hailed on, snowed on, and nearly blown away by 60 mph winds (couldn't even pitch my tent one night), but in between it was very pleasant.  I loved it so much I've been thinking about repeating it this year, since my camera malfunctioned and I lost all the beautiful photos I took (the wildflowers were absolutely stunning).  It was probably the strangest hike I've ever been on, as the only people I spoke to in 8 days were Bob at HikerTown and a 76-year-old woman training for a 50K trail run. It was the week following a big sweep of illegal ORV activity, so I didn't even see any of those guys.  No footprints on the trail other than mine.  I couldn't even pick up a ride until 1 mile from Tehachapi.  A strange and wonderful trip it was.
Sarah (aka Free Range)

I need to hike between Agua Dulce and Tehachapi early to allow me leave the
trail to attend my niece's graduation in May (when I'd normally be hiking
this section). Has anyone ever done the section this early? Is anyone
planning to do it this year, or will I be out there by my lonesome? Good
idea or bad idea?
Special K