[pct-l] Food storage in non-bear areas

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 12 11:00:46 CST 2011

Good morning, Gerry,

In areas where my food isn’t in a bear ‘can I keep it in my pack right at
the head of my sleeping bag.  Even though I don’t use an enclosed tent it
probably helps that I camp alone, avoiding the large, well-used campsites
where varmints may have learned to forage.  Also, I seldom eat where I
sleep.

In the still of the night I occasionally hear little rodent-creatures
scurrying around but after many hundreds of days and thousands of miles I’ve
never experienced any damage, and have only been annoyed by them twice:  Once
in S. Oregon I heard scratching which I thought came from my pack but turned
to be from under my ground cloth.  Another time in Washington a little
varmint persisted in running around on top of the outside of my sleeping
bag.  A thump of the fist from the inside out bounced him off the underside
of the tarp – else he might have gone into low earth orbit.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09