[pct-l] Shoes

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 19:38:34 CST 2011

Hi Ben,

The longer I hiked, the looser I wore them.  I kept putting more and more
lace back into the shoes to keep them flopping around.  I couldn't stand it
when they were tight.  Before serious training, I wore size 9.5 all my adult
life.  I'm now a solid 12, even when I rent serious climbing boots.  So yes,
your feet will spread, and lengthen.  Too small is way worse and potentially
debilitating, than too big.  Go with the bigger size, or have them ready to
be shipped.

As for color, I actually think it matters in hot areas.  I've had black
running shoes, and couldn't wear them in the summer.  The sun beats down and
it's really uncomfortable for me, as they get hot.  But I run hot, and love
splashing through a stream to cool off my dogs.  The mesh montrails I used
let in a lot of dust and I have pix just like Diane's, (I didn't know we had
the same feet Diane?).  But, I loved the fact that I could splash through
those streams and they would drain out in a few steps, and dry pretty
quick.

Shroomer