[pct-l] Food storage in non-bear areas

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 23:12:24 CST 2011

The few shelters on the PCT each did have rodent problems, we could hear
them scurrying about at night, just like on the AT.  We hung our packs under
the beams and they were fine.  The one place a mouse got into one of my side
pockets was at VVR, and I'm not knocking VVR, I loved the place.  It was my
own fault.  I thought I'd put all my food in a bear box, but I missed one
snickers bar.  Within an hour of laying the pack down, in broad daylight,
the little sucker had chewed a hole in it and eaten my candy!  They're
quick.

Elsewhere, outside of the High Sierra bear can area, I put it all in my pack
and laid it right next to me.  Never a problem.

Shroomer