[pct-l] to flare or not to flare

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 14:21:21 CST 2011

Diane wrote:

For emergency fire, I had 3 waterproof matches and 3 trick birthday
candles. I never had to use any of them. I don't know if the trick
birthday candles would work or not, but it seemed worth a try.
Diane

Diane,

It's true my firestarting kit is redundant and heavy; it is also true that I've joked that in a survival situation, I wanted enough firestarter to burn down the state although I ought not have confessed that on this particular thread.   If I lived somewhere arid I would likely use different tactics.  As far as the weight, I save elsewhere.  For example I save weight (and additional calorie expenditure) by not carrying trekking poles.

Let me paraphrase advice gleaned from Cody Lundin's book, "98.6 degrees:  The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive".  He strongly recommends practicing survival skills with your chosen gear before you need them.  Which is why I'm shocked that you don't know how well your trick candles work, and why I know your kit would be inadequate to guarantee a survival fire in all Washington's weather conditions.