[pct-l] Risk of becoming a trail fatality

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sun Feb 13 16:17:06 CST 2011

Say Switchback,
I'm so glad you are changing your ways and are giving up raiding and
plundering innocent hikers which has been the greatest threat to hikers.
Now hikers will only need to worry about the dangers they will face from
bears, mountain lions, snakes, scorpions, tics, lime disease, giardia,
heat stroke, dehydration, hypothermia, snow covered mountain passes,
raging river crossings, lightning and getting lost in the wilderness.
However, as the experts on this list point out, those dangers are
nothing compared to the dangers we face in our own homes.

This is good news and will surely encourage those with little or no
hiking experience to venture into the wilderness to thru-hike the
PCT....after all, they will be  safer in the wilderness than staying at
home and the more people on the trail the better, for sleeping in the
dark with glowing eyes all around them makes them nervous.

JMT Reinhold
Your nervous trail companion