[pct-l] Navigation. Which Compass skills are needed?

Gerry Zamora gerry0625 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 16:59:25 CST 2011

Last time I checked the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Oh if
all else fails flush a toilet and see if it goes clockwise or counter
clockwise then hike accordingly.
Gerry0625
On Feb 13, 2011 1:27 PM, "Paul Robison" <paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I could not disagree more...
>
> I use a brunton tdcl (60$) at work and am skilled in orienteering ... It
is a good skill to know, even though we use WAAS to verify our location
before I use a radar...

> On the pct, I found compass orienteering to be difficult, cumbersome, and
not worth the time. Is is generally obvious when you are on the trail or
not, and between halfmiles maps and yogis guide, the crossigs of roads etc
are well explained. Also for less experienced orienteers finding a good
feature to identify is difficult in places because the peaks really can look
the same... Not that you cant do it, but it's time consuming, and for
what... Yu're not finding your way 'to the next peak' your going along a
trail... A trail that is typically obvious and well maintained.

> When I came across a fellow thru hiker last year who had his gps, he
turned it on and said 'we're here, 2.7 miles to water and 4 miles from
camp...3hrs 22 minutes till sunset.'. I was sold...

> I'll be hiking with a garmin Dakota this year, and a cheapo compass for
emergency backup, but never to find the trail direction itself