[pct-l] Risk of becoming a trail fatality

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 18:04:34 CST 2011

Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: Say Switchback, I'm so glad you are changing your ways and are giving up raiding and plundering innocent hikers which has been the greatest threat to hikers. Now hikers will only need to worry about the dangers they will face from bears, mountain lions, snakes, scorpions, tics, lime disease, Guardia, heat stroke, dehydration, hypothermia, snow covered mountain passes, raging river crossings, lightning and getting lost in the wilderness.  However, as the experts on this list point out, those dangers are nothing compared to the dangers we face in our own homes.

This is good news and will surely encourage those with little or no hiking experience to venture into the wilderness to thru-hike the PCT....after all, they will be safer in the wilderness than staying at home and the more people on the trail the better, for sleeping in the dark with glowing eyes all around them makes them nervous.
Switchback replies: This is a dirty rumor started by Female Terminator (T-1000 liquid metal models) Leadership Types.  My ambush routine will now be at road crossings.  This is when hikers are at their most venerable.  They think they have reached civilization and a bath and food.  Their guard is down.  Their attention is focused on other things, besides their safety.  This is when I strike.  All the carefully hidden folding money for hot pizzas, cold beers, comfy motel rooms will be mine.  Simple.  No problem.  Should be a piece of cake to lighten their loads in ways they never thought of.