[pct-l] Globalstar Satellite Phone

Halfmile list at lon.net
Mon Feb 14 13:47:25 CST 2011

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually used a
Globalstar satellite phone recently. Their satellites network has
experienced "degraded performance" the past couple of years.

http://globalstar.com/en/index.php?cid=107

They launched a bunch of new satellites back in October and have plans
to launch more, but I don't know if  any of them are online yet.

This web tool shows you when your Globalstar phone should work:
http://calltimes.globalstar.com/

A quick look at Campo, CA for today shows the phone should work about
15 or 20 minutes out of each hour with the longest call duration of 13
minutes and 20 seconds (but mostly shorter calls).

Considering the price it might still be worth it, if you can reliably
predict when the phone will work. But their is a reason for current
the low price.

-Halfmile