[pct-l] Bread/Tortillas/Cheese

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 18:02:43 CST 2011

I think it would probably last a month no problem, maybe 2.  It didn't start
to get moldy till I was in Oregon and WA so that stuff had been cut for 3 or
4 months.  Same with the meat sticks from Costco.  1 or 2 months no problem.
 All summer, they couldn't make it.

And yes an iron gut really helps.  Pine cones and rocks go down just fine,
but several lbs of salami left me pretty sour in the gut.  Everybody will
figure out their "iron gut potential" as he or she hikes.  Some really weird
stuff is just fine, and some is not.  I got so that freeze dried mashed
potatoes just didn't look good to me anymore.  Mac and cheese, never. I was
making a double serving (2 boxes) at night, every other night, and putting a
bunch in a zip lock for breakfast.  I'd just squeeze it out as I hiked.  Is
that gross or what!  But somehow that actually tasted good.  By the way, I
used a lot of extra powdered cheese I bought on line, at BarryFarm.com, to
make it much higher in protein.  Their shipping is expensive so make a big
order if you choose to go with them, but the cheese is exactly the same as
Kraft Mac and Cheese, cheese.  There's iron gut in all it's beauty, the
stuff actually tastes good to me.  Or maybe it's just dead taste buds.

Shroomer