[pct-l] Trails crossling roads, was: Re: Navigation. Which Compass skills are needed?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 18:06:07 CST 2011

Be aware that sometimes the locations where the PCT crosses a dirt road on BOTH
sides might be camoflagued (not cleared) and therefore hard to find.  This is
deliberate and for a very good reason.  IT IS TO MAKE IT HARDER FOR MOUNTAIN
BIKERS AND DIRT BIKERS TO FIND IT AND ILLEGALLY USE THE PCT. This is sometimes
true of some crossings on Section E in S. California. Once, while doing
volunteer trail work on that Section by myself I did a great job of clearing a
place like that for about 20' on either side of the trail - only to find out
later the reason why it was left that way.  Wheeled vehicles do a lot of damage
to the PCT creating ruts for water to run down.  This is especially true when
they brake and skid while going down hill.

 So, if you come to a crossing and can't find the other side - look harder.

MendoRider