[pct-l] Whitney Permit

Jim Banks jbanks4 at socal.rr.com
Mon Feb 14 18:18:51 CST 2011

Accessing the Whitney Portal means after you have hiked to the top of Mt.
Whitney you descend to the east about 16 miles to the Whitney Portal (just
means the trailhead).  This is the main Whitney trail that climbs Mt.
Whitney from the east side.  There is a store/cafe there where you can get a
burger/fries and a beer.  However, most PCT through hikers do not descend to
the east, they turn around and go back down the way they came up, i.e, back
towards Guitar Lake and back to the PCT on the west side of Mt. Whitney.  To
hike to Mt. Whitney you actually get off the PCT and get on the John Muir
Trail.  Very few PCT through hikers exit out the portal to resupply because
it is a huge climb back with a full pack.

So a typical north bound PCT through hiker will exit the PCT at Crabtree
Meadows and get on the JMT.  Hike east bound on the JMT past Guitar Lake
(Guitar Lake or the tarn just above Guitar Lake is a good place to camp the
night before you do Whitney) to the top of Whitney, turn around and hike
back the way you came on the JMT and then rejoin the PCT (from that point on
for more than 150 miles the PCT and the JMT are the same trail).

I-Beam