[pct-l] Fw: Ursaks

Kevin hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 00:07:28 CST 2011

Ed

What about surrounding a campsite with mothballs?

Honestly, I probably won't be carrying opsacks. I looked, and thy don't appear to be very big. How many would I need to hold 7 or 8 days food? I've never used a bear can either though. The times I've been in bear areas, I've had dogs with me. No way a bear would get within 1/4 mile without them alerting me. The time I spent in bear country without a dog was before the bear can rules. We hung our food and never had trouble.

I'm planning to use a bear can from KM to Echo Lakes, so I'm not real worried about bears for my thru hike, but moth balls are light and might add some extra insurance north of Tahoe.

Do they work? I saw some people using them in the Rockies. I wasnt sure if they were for bears or rodents. My suspicion is both ;)

Misspellings and typos brought to you by iPhone.