[pct-l] Jardine and the Backpack Hip Belt

Kevin hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 00:51:49 CST 2011

I own an ultra light pack, but I put it aside a few years ago in exchange for a suspension. I love my Gregory Z65. It actually transfers the weigt to my hips. No matter what I do with my GoLite, I can't get the weight off my shoulders. With the Gregory, I can pull the top adjustment straps(dunno what they are called) and the weight comes off my shoulders. It feels like the pack is sitting on the waist belt and the should straps are just balancing the weight over me. I feel some pressure against my chest, but it provides relief for my shoulders. I'm usually good for the first 10 miles or so, the I start shifting the weight back and forth between my waist and my shoulders.

Of course my Z65 weighs 4 pounds. This is a lot by ultra light standards. I considered a new pack, but I'm skeptical any can carry a load as well. Leaving KM, I'll have 11 days food with me. That's 22 pounds or more. Granted, my base weight is nearly 20lbs, so YMMV.

Misspellings and typos brought to you by iPhone.