[pct-l] GPS Navigation accuracy - Motorola Droid X

Dave Grayson djgmd at centurytel.net
Tue Feb 15 05:35:57 CST 2011

We are planning to use both hard copy maps and GPS for through hiking
navigation in 2012.  For the sake of weight reduction, I was considering
using my new Verizon Motorola Droid X for GPS navigation loaded with
Halfmile's data points.  However, I'm concerned that the GPS antennae
and performance in the smart phone may not be as accurate as say a
Garmin dedicated GPS unit.   I noticed that the GPS localization on the
Droid X seems relatively poor in around town suburban use.   Can anyone
tell me how the Motorola Droid X  compares in GPS navigation accuracy to
a stand alone GPS unit?    Dave Grayson