[pct-l] SIERRA SNOW REPORT.... Good News & Bad News

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 15 18:16:46 CST 2011

We just recently heard a report by a PCT thru hiker from last year who
lamented that we wished he had entered the Sierra "early" so he would have
had harder snow for longer making walking easier and avoiding long sessions
of tedious post-holing. I hope he will describe his story directly to the
pct-l so you can hear it in his own words. What Mango said we heartily agree
with!

If you enter the Sierra "late," trying to avoid snow altogether (or as much
as possible), you will probably be in the middle of the thaw when the snow
is really soft and the creeks are roaringly high. I believe it was the above
gentleman's opinion that his days would have been easier and Passes safer to
get over (easier to walk on top of the snow without falling through) if he
had gone through the high altitude sections (KM to Tahoe) while the snow was
firmer (pre-thaw) so that once the thaw started, he would have been at lower
altitudes where the terrain was mellower and the thaw was almost over.

Yes, the earlier the entry, the more likely the access roads will be closed
to getting rides into town. When we arrived last year at Horseshoe Meadows
(Trail Pass-Cottonwood Pass area) May 14th, the road was still closed and we
faced one helluva road walk into Lone Pine. Thanks to a local's access to
the road from their adjoining ranch, Lady J was able to reach us before we
passed out trying!

Please keep in mind that we still had snow storms to the end of May. No big
deal--not a lot of accumulation. They actually helped keep the daily temps
down so that the creeks were low (Tyndall was completely buried) and the
snow was easy to walk on. However, we were certainly glad to have our winter
gear with us (meaning bigger and heavier than summer loads) so we could
remain warm and dry throughout the two months (May and June) to our exit at
the John Muir Trail Ranch.

Once we get our videos out to the remodeled website, you will be able to see
for yourselves what it actually looked like, the skills we taught along the
way about ascending and descending techniques for the Passes and creek
crossing tips for all the not-so-scary creeks. A piece of the production can
be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po7gWQzrrGw in which you will see
the ease of snow camping, wet trail, a difficult Forester Pass experience,
and the helicopter that rescued Calorie.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd