[pct-l] Shoes

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 15 18:30:16 CST 2011

I really can't resist this one...

I wish I could remember all that Karl Limmer told us regarding his precise
sizing of the three of us into his traditional, all-leather hiking boots
before our May-June filming of the PCT under snow from KM north last year.
It was his 3rd generation boot-construction opinion that one size larger
than what you wear for street shoes is correct. (I'll try to get Karl to
educate the pct-l directly). It is also his advice to wear just one pair of
Smartwool socks.

I have always worn this type of trail footwear since 1964, have prevented
too numerous to count ankle accidents because of them, and documented on
video how they keep your feet warm and dry even through mid-shin-deep creek
crossings (with good, tall gaitors). They worked great as deep-creek
crossing shoes, protecting my feet from sharp granite rock edges not seen
while probing around beneath the opaque and foaming surface for the next
foot placement, and after changing socks on the other side, dried out nicely
in a few miles of snow-walking.

While we were out there during June (the thru hikers had not caught up to us
until then), most of the thrus suffered from constantly wet and cold feet in
their trailrunners. Just depends on your personal philosophy, but either
way, make sure you go out before your long hike to decide which "works" for
you.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education