[pct-l] Ursacks

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 22:24:19 CST 2011

I keep a clean camp and store all food in OpSaks to contain the food smells. I
then use mothballs to introduce a smell that, to bears, is very unpleasant and
certainly does not represent food.  This has worked for me for over five months
living on the PCT. I have also used the "Bear Charms" during many other
backpacking and horsepacking trips for over 20 years.
Would I have been bothered by bears had I not done that?  I don't know.

I would like to point out that UrSacks and the various Bear Canisters do not
contain food smells. Bears might be attracted to the smells and visit your camp
area to try to get your food. That is why it is recommended that you place the
Canisters 100' from your camp. The Bear Canisters will prevent bears from
getting your food. The Ursacks probably will too but are not approved.  If you
were to first put the food in an OpSak and then put the OpSak inside a
clean Canister, I doubt  that bears would visit your camps. Add a few mothballs
around your Canister and you have, essentially, what I have done. That is the
approach that I will use in the Sierra this summer.

MendoRider