[pct-l] FW: Sleeping Pads

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Feb 16 09:44:36 CST 2011

Good morning, D.Nielsen,

This is probably not what you want to hear, but you may want to consider a
different approach.  As someone considerably older than you I know that with
age the body loses its flexibility and its ability to adapt, but another
reason the typical foam pad seems harder is because as the years accumulate
we probably sleep on the ground less often, becoming more and more
accustomed to the decadence of the bedroom.

I have several RidgeRest and Z-Rest pads but I find they are overkill in
terms of size and weight.  Instead I typically hike with a cheap-o, ¾
length, 3/8” closed-cell foam pad.  Insulation is adequate, and adapting to
that level of cushioning – or lack thereof -- is relatively simple and easy:
During the months prior to a hike I sleep every night on a carpeted floor
rather than in a cushy bed.  When the day arrives that I begin hiking the
transition to ground-sleeping on a thin pad is nearly seamless.

Prior to a hike most of us train our legs to hike with a pack; preferably we
train our lungs to process thin, high-altitude air; we harden our feet on
rough trails; we adjust our dining expectations to adapt to common trail
food; we carry training packs that often weigh more than our hiking packs to
develop our shoulders; we probably drink far more water than does a
sedentary person; and we accept a much lower bar-height of personal hygiene.
In order to save considerable weight, bulk, cost, and frailty, why not train
one’s self to adapt to our proposed sleeping environment?  The typical
answer is, “Oh, I couldn’t possibly do that.  I need my rest!”

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09