[pct-l] MLD Packs

Matthew Edwards Hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Wed Feb 16 11:56:03 CST 2011

Hi Dan,
I used a Golite pinnacle on the PCT and a Mountain Laurel Designs Exodus on the CDT.
I own a Bear vault 500 and it fits in both packs. In the Exodus the bear canister fits vertically.
As far as the comfort of the MLD Exodus, and frameless packs in general, it is directly related to how you load the pack.
I can't tell you what is right for you but here is what worked for me:
I loaded my folded ridgerest in first against the inside (between me and my gear).
Then I put my garbage bag liner in and stuffed my sleeping bag and clothes in without stuff sacks.
Rolled the top of the liner down and topped it off with rain gear, water filter, and food bag(or bear canister).
I found that by eliminating the stuff sacks my frameless pack became solid much more like a framed pack.
On the CDT my heaviest load was 11lbs base+7 days food 14lbs+4 liters water 8lbs=33 lbs.
I would not describe it as comfortable at that weight. It was workable for the short time it weighed that much.
The water weight was gone in a few hours.. the food weight goes down about 2lbs a day etc.
The sweetspot for me with the Exodus as far as heaviest comfortable weight was when I got below 25 lbs.
Let me stress again that people vary wildly in regards to what they deem comfortable.
Also how you pack a frameless pack of any brand is crucial to it's load bearing ability.
If the hip belt on a frameless pack is going to transfer any weight at all the your gear in your pack must become the "frame".
And at the high end of the weight range much of the weight will be on your shoulders.
I found the compromise works for me.
There definitely was a learning curve involved.
The experiecne i had with the Golite pinnacle on the PCT directly helped me use my MLD Exodus better on the CDT.
Pay careful attention to the torso fitting guide which ever pack you get.
That being said I would personally use an MLD Exodus pack again.. in fact i shall on the AT this March.
Mountain Laurel Designs has proven to me that ultralight can also be durable.
YMMV.
-Iceaxe