[pct-l] Resupply-WA #2

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Feb 17 08:24:30 CST 2011

That Chevron was enormous. In case anybody is thinking no way you
could resupply out of a Chevron. They even had clothing, shoes, books
and household items. In 2009, anyway. The beer cooler looked plenty
big enough to hold hiker resupply boxes.

I am sorry to hear the Family Pancake House closed. They food was
really good. The portions were huge. I sat there surrounded by all
these 300 pound individuals with their 200 pound kids, marveling at
what a difference a little exercise makes in your ability to handle
so much food. I felt like I should put a bumper sticker on my
backpack "Lose Weight Now Ask Me How."

Thank goodness the trail improved after Snoqualmie Pass. I was at a
real low point when I got there. The trail had been miserable, I had
been rained on inside my tent, my feet no longer fit in my shoes. I
ended up taking 4 zeros waiting for weather to improve and shopping
in Seattle. I got a ride from another hiker I met on the trail whose
girlfriend met him with her car every now and then so they could
spend time together. If I hadn't gotten a ride to Seattle with them
so I could buy new shoes, I would have hiked in the name brand Crocs
I bought at the Chevron. Instead, I hiked in a pair of spiffy 4E
width bright white running shoes.

Once I hit the trail again, the sun had come out and it was really
beautiful. First few hours on the trail some know-it-all weekender
starts pointing at me and criticizing me to his friends. Look at that
unprepared ultralight hiker with totally inappropriate footwear. Look
at how her ankles bend as she walks on the rocks. I looked at my
ankles. Aren't they supposed to bend? I looked at him. He was still
making me an object lesson. I thought to myself, if he only knew how
far I'd come. I didn't say a word.
Diane